The laboratory officially started its activities in 2012. The scientists from few departments later reorganized into Institute of water resources engineering who shared the research ideas in the field of water research and management related to both quantity and quality aspects joined this new research unit. Laboratory acquired a lot of new modern appliances and software, as well as used and available up to date equipment, therefore the researches. The joined team now can benefit much from modern laboratory and be more competitive. The laboratory advises developers, municipalities, ministries and other institutions and organizations, private companies and farmers on how to solve global sustainable water resource issues, providing detailed research of individual water bodies (rivers basins in individual river stretches and lakes, ponds) testing and evaluating the quantitative and qualitative indicators and, where necessary applying modeling the water environment processes. The laboratory has research-business relations with Latvia, Estonia, Poland, Finland, Sweden, Belgium, Norway and other countries, academic institutions, and actively cooperate with Lithuanian non-governmental organizations and business associations.
Research of aquatic ecosystems:
- analysis of individual components, their interaction and impact on the functioning of ecosystem;
- evaluation of ecosystem condition and change in the context of multi-annual climate change;
- modeling of quantitative and qualitative aquatic processes;
- sustainable use of water resources ensuring the stability of aquatic ecosystems;
- streams bed processes, hydrodynamic studies and river beds straightening infl uence river ecosystem;
- river hydropower potential assessment and sustainable hydropower development.
- impact of natural and anthropogenic load on aquatic ecosystems
SCIENTIFIC TOPICS AND PROJECTS
Project funded by the state budget:
- Estimation of fi ltration characteristics of materials used in Lithuanian drainage systems – laboratory experiments, 2014.
- Evaluation of ecological status for group of water bodies attributed to “Risk water bodies”, identifi cation of pollution sources and other reasons that determine the risk status, identifi cation and selection of measures to improve the state of ecological status. The project is implemented in conjunction with ASU Environmental Laboratory. 2014-2016.
Scientifi c research funded by the Research Council of Lithuania:
- Hydrokinetic resource assessment in rivers and development of new technologies for development, 2012-2014.
- The EU‘s 7th FP project ISIS „Integrated smart sensor system of water supply to improve the protection (partial funding). This is a unique project, the results of which relate directly to the fi ght against terrorism.
Businesses outsourcing projects:
- Bathymetric surveys of the “Promislavo” Lake and estimation of the removed sludge volume, 2014.
- Wastewater treatment with lime aeration technology (in the meat processing industrial wastewater primary water treatment plant). 2014-2015.
- Use of numerical groundwater modelling for gound water level lowering in parcel near to Breslaujos str., 2014.
- Perform water sample tests of diﬀ erent water quality parameters as well as soil and sludge sample testing.
- Perform evaluation of hydrologic regime of rivers, lakes and other water bodies (water levels, fl ow rates, sediments/sedimentation, and water quality measurements).
- River fl ow profi ling using acoustic method to measure water velocity and water fl ow cross section at the same time, and as a result the fl ow rates and fl ow velocities distribution in the fl ow profi le.
- Scanning of riverbed bank related areas and preparing digital maps.
- River bed or lake bottom scanning from boat using hydro acoustic method and generating 2D and 3D digital terrain models.
- Physical and digital modelling of open water bodies using earlier developed surface models and 1D or 2D hydraulic models.
- Application of Geographic information systems in water engineering, fl ood prevention and risk modeling.
- Hydrological and ecological expertise for river related water projects, operation of inland waterways.
- Determine soil moisture balance and soil water parameters using the modern equipment.
- Provides the nitrogen and phosphorus pollution load and balance calculation for river basins and oﬀ ers the measures for reduction of agricultural and industrial pollution load.
- Water quality monitoring of crop fi elds and action plans to reduce pollution.
- Surface and ground water pollution monitoring of large livestock farms and action plans to reduce pollution.
- Selection of potential locations for constructed wetlands and their design and performance evaluation.
- Teaching and training courses in hydrology, water conservation and water protection policy related fi elds. Consulting, preparation of teaching aids.