CODE OF ETHICS – is one of the University legal code documents defining standards of conduct of the University personnel and students and governing their relationship.
- The University personnel and students in their activity follow the LR Constitution, provisions of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and Grand Charter of the European Universities; keep to the LR legislation and the requirements provided in the University Statute, legal code documents and this Code.
- Work and behaviour of the University personnel and students raise their own and the University prestige at and off the office time, during studies or leisure, foster the values of spiritual and work culture and the values of social citizenship, protect and enrich national traditions, show example of good conduct to the members of society in Lithuania and while abroad.
- The University personnel and students must comply with the state language requirements and rules of clerical work, document preparation and formalization.
AIMS AND TASKS OF THE CODE
- Establishment of the rules of official, professional and social conduct of the University personnel and students should seek that individual activity of a staff member or a student rouse the individual‘s as well as the University‘s honour and were useful for the society and for the State.
- Protection of personnel and students from the actions that might undermine the prestige of the individual or of the University community.
- 6.Ensuring that relationship of all University community members (personnel and srtudents) were based on tolerance and respect to each and all.
GENERAL PROVISIONS OF PERSONNEL AND STUDENTS ETHICS
- Careful performance of own duties.
- Respect for the individual and his/her rights, as well as for the University, the State and its institutions. Rejection of indiscretion or the behaviour infringing human rights and dignity.
- Equal service to all members of the society regardless of nationality, race, sex, social status, religious beliefs and political views.
- Improvement of own qualification, seek for office and professional recognition by honest work and social activity. A good behaviour model for all society members.
- Recognition of the University management structure. Observance of subordination. Making proposals for improvement of administration (leaders) work, resistance to various forms of discrimination, support for legitimate requirements of the community members.
- Attentiveness to subordinates, colleagues and leadership; politeness and orderliness, maintenance of tidy and safe working place.
- Intolerance to any manifestation of corruption.
- Secrecy of official and confidential information.
- Performance of official duties, not seeking illegal benefit for themselves or families.
- Stay off alcohol, psychoactive substances and narcotics. Intolerance to any manifestation of sexual harassment.
- Recognition and correction of own mistakes.
- Reporting on own activity to immediate supervisor.
- Students, lecturers, personnel respect one another and behave according to the rules defined in the University statute-book.
GENERAL PROVISIONS OF ETHICS OF ADMINISTRATION AND HEADS OF DIVISIONS
- Leader at any level is personally responsible for the decisions taken, ensures the publicity of the decisions and actions and, if required, provides motives of the decisions taken.
- Provides information (on duties, rights, possible consequences, etc.) to the subordinate staff or other members of community in accordance with the procedure.
- Allocates work and separate tasks to subordinate staff fairly and equally.
- Gives fair and detailed consideration to the proposals by subordinate staff and students, is able to reject unlawful requests correctly and tactfully.
- Does not use the University property or material and financial resources entrusted by the State for private purposes; does not accept any gifts, services or special privileges from persons or organizations, which can lead to the conflict of public and private interests.
- Uses the powers granted for the protection of community interests.
ETHICAL PROVISIONS OF RESEARCH AND PEDAGOGICAL STAFF
- Appeal solely to verified scientific methods and research data, evaluate knowledge of others objectively and fairly.
- Express intolerance to the cases of academic unfairness.
- Encourage and support academic freedom, pursuit of truth and free exchange of ideas.
- Do not use the work at the University for the purposes of advertising, propaganda of ideological and political views, humiliation of other beliefs and opinions.
- Forbid the data falsification, plagiarism and careless calculations or experiments.
- Research and pedagogical personnel, whose primary place of employment is University, should inform the Personnel department about full-time work in other institutions or according to author‘s or commercial agreements by May 1st, every year. Failure to do that is treated as disrespect to the University.
CONCLUDING PROVISIONS. APPLICATION OF THE CODE
- Members of the University community (staff and students) must follow this Code. If a staff member or a student has doubts related to the breach of the Code of Ethics, he/she informs (consults) the direction of the University.
- In the case of conflict situation among the members of the University community, the interested person submits written information to the head of the subdivision, who initiates an inspection and makes a decision. If head of subdivision does not solve the problem, he/she or any University staff member has the right to make a complaint to the Rector or any other head of the Administration.
- A student can address the Students‘ union, Dean‘s Office or the Rector about the actions of the University pedagogical personnel or of any other staff member he/she considers inappropriate. A staff member addresses the corresponding Dean‘s Office or Rector‘s Office about the inappropriate behaviour of students.
- The decisions made by the Rector can be appealed to the University Senate or to the University Council.
- The commission of Statute Supervision and Professional Ethics monitors the implementation of the Code requirements. Raising and consideration of the Code implementation problems are the right and duty of this commission.
- Breach of the Code is subject administrative sanctions up to dismissal of staff members and expulsion of students.
- Observance of the Code requirements is considered in the assessment of lecturers.